RITE of ILK is a local co-operative exploration game that revolves around the lives of two sacrificed children who are forced to venture through unknown lands to save their tribe from the edge of extinction. All while being tied together by a rope. The two must trek through treacherous environments, solve environmental puzzles, and return peace to their home.
ILK's two protagonists, Mokh and Tarh, must learn to collaborate and overcome obstacles together by turning the rope's limitations and restrictions into their advantage. The rope's limited length forces the players to closely communicate on how to overcome certain challenges. The player's team up, explore ancient ruins, unravel mysteries, and face a greater power -- together -- because it's all about cooperation.
RITE of ILK was the main project that I worked on at Turtleneck Studios. I was responsible for creating new gameplay mechanics and refactor existing ones. I learned how to build mechanics that the design team could easily work with and add additional functionality to through visual scripting. This made me get a better understanding of how programmers and designers work together to finetune mechanics.
During my time working on RITE of ILK I have:
- Written and maintained several mechanics.
- Written and maintained high-quality game code ensuring that is was clean and easy to use.
- Improved a tool and setup up a pipeline that will increase the effectiveness of designers working with dialogues.
- Evaluated the effectiveness of designer workflows and made game system improvements accordingly.
- Provided ongoing support, improvements and debugging for existing game features.
- Written several utilities to support the team.
- Reviewed/buddy checked code from other engineers.
30 minutes of RITE of ILK gameplay